Friday, March 11, 2016

11 March 2016

Hi all!

Major updates to our game this week include an extended first level and a health system! While Kyle was continuing our first level, I was working on coding a health system. For a few days, I was stuck, and I ended up posting on the developer's group to find help. They helped out somewhat, but my question was left widely unanswered. I had to learn to fix the issues myself. It ended up being a really simple fix; to put it in layman's terms, the variable for health couldn't be accessed by the file with the health bar, since it wasn't declared as a public variable. I'm quickly learning more about JavaScript and slowly getting used to its syntax and conventions.

Mr. Vange has showed us some really neat ways to bug test our code by using the console.log() function to show us what the code is doing in real-time. This has helped us a great deal with working out kinks in our code.

Our website will be updated tomorrow once I compile all the files and upload them to the servers. Over the course of the next week, we plan on adding the attack system, finishing the first level (complete with a boss), and adding a game over screen and a menu. Upon completing this task, we will have reached our half-way point in creating our game.

As I get more fluent in JavaScript, I hope to be able to pass these obstacles quicker, giving me more time to work on my sprite animation!

See you next week,

Alex.

3 comments :

  1. Busy week! I look forward to checking out your updated game!

    Have you found that some developer's help sites are more useful than others? How long does it typically take to hear back? Also, does the bug-testing code actually show you where errors lie? At that point, is it up to you to figure out how to correct them?

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to actually be able to beat the first level! I'm very excited to try the game after the new update. How is your updated sound track coming along by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete