Friday, January 22, 2016

Introduction

Hi Everyone!

I am a senior at BASIS Scottsdale and will be spending February through May completing my Senior Research Project. My friend Kyle and I will be creating a retro-style video game using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and various design engines. Kyle will be focusing on the level design, while I will be focusing on the art design and animation. We will both be working on the code and controls, while coming up with ideas to improve the gameplay and immersion. Thanks to our amazing college counselor, Ms. Mitrovich, we will be working under the mentorship of former Electronic Arts Interactive Chief Technology Officer, Mr. Mark Vange. He will provide direction and supervision for this project and we hope that some of his expertise in the field rubs off on us.

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always been fascinated by the highly imaginative and interactive world of video games. My first experience with video games was Super Mario Bros for the Nintendo NES, and from that moment onward, I was hooked. Since then, I have owned and extensively used the Gameboy Advanced, GameCube, DS, Xbox 360, and PC. Ranging from first-person shooters like Halo and Counterstrike to role playing games such as Fallout and Skyrim, I have spent countless hours playing through these games.

I've had the dream of creating my own video game for a long time, but now it's becoming a reality. Recently, I have been brushing up on my HTML and CSS, and this blog will be undergoing major changes as I learn more. As the game development progresses, I will be able to embed our game on this page so that you guys can play it directly from this blog and give us feedback on how we can make it better. Shoutout to my good friend and project partner, Kyle, for helping me out on this project. You can find his blog at kylekovach.blogspot.com.

Here is a link to my project proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YQ-H0buNpKoMKAz0HdnAfhH6BMf_ifY3pXaNL8dy0G0/edit?usp=sharing.

9 comments :

  1. Hi Alex,

    This sounds like a really fun project! Which design engines will you guys be using to create your video game? Also, will you guys be putting this game out for PC only or other consoles? I can't wait to see the game's progress throughout the next few months!

    -Saif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saif, thank you! We're not entirely sure yet, but we have been referred to MelonJS, which seems like a good fit for the platformer that we'll make. Due to time constraints, we will be focusing on developing it for the PC, and hopefully we'll be able to design and polish everything by May!

      Delete
  2. Great intro, Alex! I don't know much about video games (I've actually never even played one), so I can't wait to learn more about the process of creating them. Also, have fun animating more fun characters like Frobot (great backstory, by the way). I'm looking forward to reading your posts.
    ~ Mia Lu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia! I'm sorry to hear about the lack of video games in your life, but maybe you'll become more intrigued after following our project! I think that the art and design aspect of the development will be the most exciting part for me, and hopefully we can make a good-looking game.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,

    Frobot is such a unique character (did you design him yourself?) and I can't wait to see the video game. Hope you and Kyle come up with a demo soon!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Vanessa! Yes, I designed Frobot myself, using a few other 8-bit character references to help guide me. I hope we can make swift progress on the game as well!

      Delete
  5. I love the futuristic 1970s vibe that I get from Frobot, I look forward to playing your game in the near future. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the futuristic 1970s vibe that I get from Frobot, I look forward to playing your game in the near future. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete